Monday, June 21, 2010

Many parts in one body

"We have many parts in the one body, and all these parts have different functions.  In the same way, though we are many, we are one body in union with Christ, and we are all joined to each other as different parts of one body.  So we are to use our different gifts in accordance with the grace that God has given us." -Romans 23:4-6

Tonight was my last night of a 34 week bible study.  We read through the Bible, beginning to end, in this time and it was such an amazing experience.  I know many Christians, including myself, have attempted this several times without a guide or accountability and it is simply a huge book that can be overwhelming without guidance and support.  I've learned a lot and was blessed to be in a group with some older individuals who had some great input on the Word of God.

This weeks lesson was focused on our spiritual gifts, which differ from our personal talents.  Talents are God-given, natural, a part of the created order; while gifts are received through the Holy Spirit.  Gifts are roles or special abilities, different and distinct.  They are different from the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23): The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."  Spiritual gifts can change depending on the need for that gift and are not necessarily tied to your talents.

We took a Spiritual gifts survey and I was surprised to see that I rated high in evangelism.  I guess I've always seen evangelists as in your face, blunt, and somewhat of a turn-off.  But after reading the description I was pleasantly surprised:  "The gift of evangelism is the gift of faith-sharing and proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ with those we meet.  Evangelism is primarily a one-to-one or small group experience, grounded in building relationships with others and inviting them to make a decision for Christ.  Gifted evangelists do not force their faith on others, but offer relationship with God as a gift, and are ready to tell the story of God and Christ in their own lives."  I guess I felt intimidated by evangelism.  I'm not the best at approaching strangers...but this description points to relationship building before sharing your faith..and that, I think I am good at.  Of course I want everyone I know and care about to find Christ and eternal salvation.  God is amazing and loves us deeply and has given so so much to prove his love and get our love in return.

No comments: